Motivation and Meal Planning

One of the main reasons why I blog about running is the fact that it motivates me to keep on running. Some days when I don’t want to get out and run (yes, that happens to me!) I think about the big 0 that would be on my training log for the week. Most days that’s all it takes to get me out the door or down to the treadmill.

I’m starting to see meal planning the same way. If I blog about it, then the meal plan should be ready by Sunday, right?

We’ve been doing o.k. with planning out meals but taking the time to do it during the week for the up and coming week will help out a lot.

Here are some of the things we’ve been enjoying throughout the last week.

[breakfast]
My go-to first meal of the day is organic vanilla yogurt with homemade granola, a little orange juice and a cup of coffee.

Motivation and Meal Planning | A Mother's Pace

[lunch]
I’ve been eating a lot of salads for lunch lately. I pile whatever we have in the fridge on the lettuce for a healthy option at my midday meal. The salad below has turkey, zucchini, bacon, black beans and blanched carrots. Topped with a homemade Italian dressing.

Motivation and Meal Planning | A Mother's Pace

[dinner]
It’s been too long since I made this Black Bean Enchilada Casserole. It’s easy and with homemade enchilada sauce and brown rice, it’s pretty healthy too.

Motivation and Meal Planning | A Mother's Pace

[treat]
I saw these 4 ingredient peanut butter chocolate chip cookies the other day and literally made them a few minutes later. They are so easy that they are dangerous!

Motivation and Meal Planning | A Mother's Pace

[baby food]
With my first two children we made almost all of the baby food that they consumed. This time around the convenience of the organic food at the store has won and we’ve been buying most of it. (It pains me to admit that, just keeping it real!) Now that Little E is eating more food, we are starting to give her more table food. I specifically made these blanched carrots so that we could cut them up and give them to Little E.

Motivation and Meal Planning | A Mother's Pace

Here’s what we are planning for this week.

Monday: Penne with Bacon, Peas and Lemon from What Chefs Feed Their Kids by Fanae Aaron
Tuesday: Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos
Wednesday: Leftovers
Thursday: Vegan Night: Nutty Tofu and Veggies
Friday: Cheeseburger Skillet Pie
Saturday: Leftovers
Sunday: Easy Veggie Soup

Updated to add: I’m also linking up with WIAW this week.

What are you eating this week? What was your favorite meal from last week? Do you menu plan?

——————————-

1. Clarinda says:

Do you have a recipe for your Black Bean Enchilada Casserole? It looks so good!
    My recent post What's Next?

Yes! It is one of my favorites.

Black Bean Enchilada Casserole

1 C. shreddeed Monterey Jack Cheese, divided.
      1 C. long-grain rice (I use brown rice)
      1 C. sour cream
      1/2 C. chopped fresh cilantro
      1 t. ground cumin
      1 t. chili powder
      15 oz. black beans, rinsed and drained
      1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped (we leave this out for the kids)
      1 can red enchilada sauce (I make Budget Bytes homemade red enchilada sauce)
      Tortillas

Combine 1/2 cup cheese, rice and next 6 ingredients in a large bowl. Spread 1/4 cup enchilada sauce in an 11×7 baking dish coated with cooking spray. Heat remaining enchilada sauce in a skillet 2 minutes or until warm; remove from heat. Dredge both sides of tortillas in warm sauce; arrange tortillas overlapping over sauce in baking dish. Top with 1-3/4 cups bean mixture. Repeat layers. Pour remaining sauce and 1/2 cheese over the last layer of bean mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until bubbly.

So yummy, enjoy!

• Clarinda says:

This sounds great! Thanks for sharing. I'll be making it this week for sure. :)
        My recent post Three Things Thursday – 12/19

• Clarinda says:

I was going to make these for dinner tonight, but (and this may be a dumb question) do I cook the rice first?
        My recent post What's for Dinner? Week of 12/22

Oooo, NOT a dumb question, I definitely should have put that in the recipe. Yes, you cook the rice before adding it to the enchilada. Sorry!

2. mommyrunfaster says:

I feel the same way about meal planning… write it up to make myself do it. And those cookies… drool!
    My recent post Back to running + menu link up

3. Tara Newman says:

I agree about the meal planning, it definitely keeps me accountable. I mad a frittata last week that I liked because it was SO SO easy!
    My recent post What’s for Dinner? #3 and Energybits Giveaway

We love to eat frittatas! That reminds me that I haven't made one in awhile and need to add it to my menu soon. :)

4. jillconyers says:

I've been eating a lot of clean-out-the-produce drawer salads too! Whatever I have on hand and keeping it simple! Especially this time of year.
    My recent post Menu Planning and Clean Eating

5. LilMysNinja says:

I definitely can relate. I too blog about running to help me stay motivated. Your meals looks delish! I'm curious about your cheeseburger skillet pie. Do you have the recipe to share?
    My recent post I Want to Thank YOU!

It's amazing how motivating a blog can be, right?! I found the Cheeseburger Skillet Pie in my Real Simple magazine from a couple of years ago. I just searched on their website and it's still there. Just go to realsimple[dot]com and search for Cheeseburger Skillet Pie with Tomato Salad and it will pop up. {I would just share the link here but I've had problems with people leaving links in comments…Google doesn't like it and then thinks my whole blog is spam! :/ }

6. katalina6 says:

Oh my, that enchilada looks amazing! I haven't had enchiladas for the longest time, mostly because it's no fun to make it for just one person. That looks like a great breakfast too!. Love the motivation :) Keep going!

Thank you! I got married in my 30's so I definitely understand cooking for just one. :) You could try to cut the recipe in half and make it in a smaller baking dish. It's pretty easy so it's not a lot of effort for one dish. The only ingredient that would be hard to half would be the beans, if you used a can instead of dried, but it wouldn't be a bad thing to keep the whole amount of beans in this recipe if the rest of the ingredients were halved. Thanks for visiting! Oh, I almost forgot, I put the recipe for the enchiladas in a reply to the first comment from this post.