Big Goals for the New Year

Happy New Year!

Today I’m kicking off 2014 with a local 5K race. Our local Frosty 5K that they YMCA puts on each year.

I’ve never been one to set New Years resolutions and then check on them throughout the year. Last year I wrote a post about my goals for the year and then didn’t look at it again until the end of December. I’m pretty sure that isn’t the way that goal setting is supposed to go.

I must have picked goals that were meant for me because reading over that post is almost exactly what happened in 2013.

So, I may or may not read over this post again until December 2014 but I will keep this one in my thoughts more than the last one. I have big goals for 2014, goals that require attention and hard work.

First is my goal race. I’m going big again this year and will train for the Chicago Marathon in the fall. My first marathon I ran to finish it and this marathon I want to run to see what I can do.

I also want to do more races this year. I love the race environment and the way that it pushes a runner to do their best. I signed on to run 14 races in the year 2014 with Jill and Jen’s challenge. You can read more about the challenge and find out how to sign up by following this link.

This week I also upped my mileage goal for 2014. For awhile now I’ve wanted to complete 1,000 miles in a year.  In 2013 I completed just over 650 with only 9 months of running. Some of those were light running months after giving birth to my 3rd child.

When I saw that Run This Year was offering a challenge to run the year in kilometers (2,014 kilometers = 1251.4 miles) I decided that was a challenge I would like to take on. It is significantly higher than my initial goal and double the amount of miles I ran this year but I’m in. And I’m excited about it.

Do you make new year’s resolutions? Do you have running goals for 2014?

——————————-

1. jillrunsnm says:

Oh! Love the run 2014 km! I'm adding that to my running list for this year!

2. Hutch says:

Fantastic! So excited for you this year. Lots of great things on the horizon.
    My recent post Run This Year 2014 Begins!

3. MrsBookout says:

I love your honesty! I am really bad about setting new year's resolutions and keeping them fresh. Actually, when I set mine this year I thought, “ok, now how am I going to stick to this throughout the year?” Ha! :) Don't get me wrong, I can stick to goals, just not resolutions.
    Good luck on your marathon training!

p.s. new follower on your Facebook page!
    Happy new year!
    My recent post Everything is Going to be Amazing!

Thank you! I do much better with goals as well. I'm not really sure what the difference is? Maybe that I'm more passionate about my goals because it's something I'm working towards. Thanks for following me on Facebook!!

4. Jennifer says:

Great goal!!
    I am hoping this is my hear to shine!
    My recent post shine

5. jillconyers says:

I just shared my goals for 2014! I'm so excited to be a part of Run This Year and finally, 14 in 2014 has begun! I'm thinking about running Chicago again this year too!
    My recent post Living Life With Intention || Goals for 2014

I was excited to see your name on the list of the Run This Year team! I've never ran Chicago but I've always wanted to. Any tips for me? We'll have to meet up if we are both running it. :)

6. Melissa Burton says:

Angie: I'm so glad you linked up with my #14in2014 link up. I'm going to try to help that you keep up with your goals this year through quarterly check-in's. Congratulations on 650+ miles and the birth of your 3rd child – amazing! I have hard time fitting in my workouts and I only have one child!!

Great to meet you and I look forward to getting to know you better this year!
    My recent post Friday’s Featured Female – Tiffany @ RunningHutch.com

Hi Melissa,
      Yes, I was happy to find your blog and the link up. Quarterly check-ins will be very helpful!! My husband helps out a lot with the kids (fixes them breakfast,etc.) so that makes it so much easier to get up early and run! Thanks for stopping by…looking forward to getting to know you!