Dusting off the Spin Bike

We have a spin bike in the basement but it hardly gets used at all. My husband, who is the cyclist in our family, has been focusing more on running lately and I’ve only been on the thing a couple of times since we’ve owned it.

That is all about to change. On Sunday, which was a rest day from running, I woke up early and went downstairs to try out the bike. I had found this great workout from Lindsay over at Cotter Crunch and decided to give it a try. She has fantastic tips for spinning and also a couple of links to other spinning sites as well. It was all very helpful for this newbie spinner!

I hopped on the bike for the 5 minute warm up and then got down to work for the climb intervals. These spin bikes are tough!

The workout called for two minute intervals and it really broke up the ride and made it go by quickly. I did this for 10 minutes and then jumped off for the core work. After 3 minutes of core work it was time to get on the bike and do it all over again and then one more time after that.

I finished with a cool down and completely happy that I had just finished a 50 minute cross training workout. I will definitely revisit this workout and happily add spinning to my weekly workouts.

One of the tips that I read recently was to go to a spin class and arrive early. That way you can introduce yourself to the instructor and he or she can fit your bike properly and also help you out with form throughout the class. I’m seriously considering taking a class soon at the YMCA, I just have to talk my husband into going with me. :)

Have you taken a spin class? Do you use a spin bike? What tips do you have for me?

I’m having a GIVEAWAY this week. Haven’t signed up yet? Head on over and put your name in the hat!

——————————-

1. LilMysNinja says:

I am soooo jealous of your spin bike! That's going to be my next investment. I used to take spin class and loved it. I hope to pick it up again when I finally invest in one.
    My recent post Motivation Mondays: Treadmill Hill Repeats

I always here such great things about spin classes! I need to sign up for one soon!!!

• LilMysNinja says:

If you get the right instructor, you'll definitely have a blast! My favorite one had so much energy and she got us pumped!
        My recent post Running, Fosters & a New Weekly Series in the Works!

2. Marnie says:

Nice work on the spin bike! We have one in our basement, too, and I wish I rode it more. Please keep posting updates on your rides!
    My recent post Having Fun with a Toddler

Thanks, Marnie! I felt the same way and then I just decided to go down and try it out. I'm planning on riding every Sunday (now I've said it so I have to do it, right!) so I'll keep writing about it. :)

• Marnie says:

Guess what? You inspired me to get on my spin bike on Thursday. Maybe I'll try and stick to it along with you.
        My recent post Happiness Is…

Yay! That's fantastic! I rode again this morning and loved it. Definitely keep me updated on how you are doing!!

3. RunToTheFinish says:

I keep wondering if a spin bike would be better than my bike trainer. I've been using it a ton lately!
    My recent post 11 Clean Eating Breakfast Ideas

I've heard two negatives about spin bikes 1)It's hard to replicate a workout because you adjust the pressure by using a knob and 2)It's difficult to track mileage.
      Neither one of those things matter to me so my spin bike is working great. I'm not sure how a trainer works, it may have similar issues…

4. Elisebet F says:

I have taken a spin class before, and WOW! it was tough! I was dripping with sweat afterwards…definitely a great workout. It conflicted with my work schedule at the time, so I wasn't able to keep it up, unfortunately.
    My recent post Fitness Friday: 1/24/13

5. jillconyers says:

I'm so jealous! I love spinning but had to give it up when I cancelled my gym membership to have a workout room at home. Love my home gym but miss the class.
    My recent post What Does “Be True To You” Mean To You?

Ugh, I hear so many people say that they love the class. I really need to do it get to one. I think I'll practice on my bike at home and work up to a class eventually. I'm slowly building my home gym up on little purchase at a time.