Running Through the Years

I’ve been running for many years (since junior high track) but I would always stay under the 5 mile mark. Maybe I ran more than that a few times during cross country in high school but mainly I kept the miles pretty low.

Running Through the Years | A Mother's Pace

Then in 2006 I decided to run a half marathon and I haven’t really ever turned back. I vividly remember how hard that first ever 10 mile run was. So tough and I couldn’t imagine adding 3.1 miles on top of that! But I did it and since then I’ve gone on to run a marathon.

Running Through the Years | A Mother's Pace

Why am I thinking back on my miles? I ran my long run on the treadmill this weekend. It wasn’t that long of a run for me (8 miles) but it got me thinking back to the first few times that I had run that distance and how far I’ve come in the past several years.

Back when I first started running longer distances I never would have imagined running 8 miles on a treadmill, for fun. Outside was hard enough so I didn’t even consider the treadmill.

This weekend I wanted to run outside but the roads and sidewalks were just too snowy and icy. It wasn’t that tough of a decision to stay inside and run. Running for 1 hour and 13 minutes on a treadmill might not have been my first choice but I still enjoyed the run.

Running Through the Years | A Mother's Pace

9 miles is my personal distance record on the treadmill but probably not for long. I’m sure I’ll have to take a long run inside at some point this year while I’m training for my spring half or my fall full and, strangely, I’m kind of looking forward to it.

Running Through the Years | A Mother's Pace

I think the reason why I wanted to write this all out was to remember how far I’ve come in my running journey. Running these longer distances during training is something I look forward to now and not something that seems as impossible as it once did.

Weekly Workouts | A Mother's Pace

Weekly Workouts

Monday: 3 miles (9:06 pace) + 25 minute Jillian Michaels Circuit + 6 minute Ab Challenge

Tuesday: 4.5 miles (8:56 pace) + 15 minute NTC Leg Workout + 5 minute Yoga

Wednesday: 20 minute Yoga + 7 minute Ab Challenge

Thursday: 4.5 miles (8:55 pace) + 25 minute strength and Ab Challenge

Friday: 3 miles (9:14 pace) + 15 minute NTC Back Definer Workout + 5 minutes Ab Challenge

Saturday: 8 miles (9:07 pace)

Sunday: 40 minutes climb intervals on the spin bike + 10 minutes Core Work

Running Through the Years | A Mother's Pace

Run This Year | Weekly Training Miles | A Mother's Pace

Total Running Miles: 23
Weekly Average Pace: 9:05

February Running Miles: 28
2014 Running Miles: 111.88
2014 Running Kilometers: 180.05

What’s something you’ve accomplished on your running journey?

——————————-

1. RunToTheFinish says:

OHH i love that you shared this because I think so many can relate and remind ourselves that what once seemed impossible now seems like a new normal!!
    My recent post Running Laps for Punishment – #bestfoot weekly link up

Thank you, Amanda. Yes, so much of the time I'm so concerned with looking forward and getting better that it's good every now and again to look back and see how much you've already accomplished.

2. scanney says:

I love looking back on mileage, especially towards the end of a training cycle as you get ready for a big goal race. I reflected on tempo runs. My first tempo run was 20 minutes and I thought I would die, my longest tempo run was 6 and I still thought I would die, but I went so much further and felt really strong and proud at the end.

3. Marnie says:

Amazing that you can do so many miles on the treadmill. I'm sure one day the need to run on a treadmill (because it's too cold/icy/snowy outside) will push me to run more than 5 miles on a treadmill. That's my record.

I remember when I first ran 10 miles…I also couldn't believe I had managed to get to double-digits… that was in 2005. I stayed in the half-marathon zone for several years until my husband encouraged me to join a running group to train for a marathon. I think that's the only way I could do more marathons!
    My recent post Meal Planning – Week of February 9

My 8 doesn't seem like much when I hear about people running 15, 30 or even a 100 miles on a treadmill. Quite amazing!

Sometimes it takes a little push and some encouragement to run a longer distance. It's such a great feeling of accomplishment when you hit a milestone like that though. I'm glad I'm not the only one to remember the first double digit run!! Thanks for sharing.

4. happyfitmama1 says:

My longest treadmill run was 9 miles last spring. It wasn't as painful as I thought it was going to be. That being said, I definitely don't want to repeat it any time soon!
    My recent post 5 Reasons to Workout in the Morning

5. OneMotherofaDay says:

I agree! It is nice to reflect back on your own journey and how at one point you thought it was impossible now anything is possible! I often think back in my running journey. When I first ran a half marathon and during training I had only ran 9 miles so those last 4.1 miles were brutal. I remember thinking, “god there is no way I am ever doing that again!” As I ran more halfs I would say at the finish that no way would I ever run more than 13.1 miles or that I would want to! Well, now I can say I ran a marathon! That is crazy to think back.
    That is great that you did 8 miles on a treadmill! I remember treadmill running, it sucked. The one nice thing is that you don't have to worry about the weather conditions outside but, I'm sure it gets pretty boring pretty fast. Is there another marathon in your future? :)
    My recent post Food Prep + Meal Planning: week of 2/9-2/14/14

6. Clarinda says:

I think the treadmill is definitely a mental game. Once you know you can do it, you totally can! :) My distance PR on a treadmill is 13 miles. I'd do it again, but probably not on the treadmill I currently have access to. It's kinda crappy.
    My recent post 10 Things in Our Apt Which Needed to be Fixed

7. AmyC says:

My running journey is similar to yours…always stayed 10K and under until 2011 when I ran my first half! My longest TM run is 9 miles.
    My recent post Training Truths: Tight IT Band and a Cranky Knee

8. fitnessmomwinecountry says:

Angie..I can't imagine getting past 6 miles and that was hard enough for me. I am so hoping to get my bootie in gear and start my mind set on training for my first half by this June. I love the inspiration I get from reading your posts
    My recent post Let’s Recap The #MNB Challenge Week One

9. Tiffany says:

Well congrats to all your hard work. I didn't start running until about 2-3 years ago. Never had professional training like most get if they run in school and had a lot to learn. After several 5Ks I'm going to up my mileage and try out a 10K this year. Hope I'm as successful as you've been!
    My recent post How I’m Balancing Fitness & Knitting + New Blogging Space

10. bumpandrunchat says:

My greatest accomplishment for me was training for a marathon. Running the marathon was certainly tough, but it was the training and doing it by myself that felt like the best achievement. Thanks for sharing your story and reminding us to take a look at our own journeys. I've only been running for 2.5 years, so I hope to have many more journeys ahead of me. Have a great weekend!
    ~Bre